What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
In the same way as a physical first aid course won’t teach you to be a doctor, Mental Health First Aid training won’t teach you to be a therapist. However just like physical first aid, it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
Adult MHFA England courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards. Every Xenon Group Mental Health First Aid course is delivered by a quality assured Instructor Member of MHFA England, who has attended an Instructor Training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, and is trained to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
What will I learn?
The Mental Health First Aid course is a practical skills and awareness course designed to give you:
- A deeper understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect people’s wellbeing, including your own
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to appropriate support
How will attending a Mental Health First Aid Course help?
Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA England course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
Want to know more?
If you’d like to know more about our Mental Health First Aid Courses or find information about booking your place, simply give us a call or click the button below to fill out a contact formContact Us